Thursday, September 21, 2006

badminton

Today Matt's visiting Nana and Aunt Cherie became our first guests in what is officially our new house. "I'm glad you're young," is what they said to us. Several times.

Just inside the front door we found a badminton racket. "Know what this is for?" said Cherie. "Bats."

Oh.

Cherie had some different ideas about what to do with the kitchen; until now we'd been thinking only of expanding it onto the covered porch that served as a laundry room (and is now unexpectedly bereft of washer and dryer, but I guess that would be a different story). She said, instead, what about a (more affordable) galley kitchen extending through the long room that houses the refrigerator? And she said, IKEA has great kitchens. And then after some discussion of the merits of galley kitchens, she admitted that if it were her, she'd expand the kitchen onto the covered porch-slash-laundryless laundry room.

(At this point, are you wondering about how the washer and dryer lived in a covered porch off the kitchen? And how the refrigerator has its own room in our house?)

Later that night Anne and then Steve came by and helped tape 6 mm polyethylene sheeting onto the walls of each room in preparation for the asbestos removal. They thoughtfully brought a radio, and Anne helped wrangle a very excited Audrey. I don't know about everyone else, but I couldn't get the echoing "I'm glad you're young" out of my mind. Is it really that bad?

No comments: