Sunday, July 08, 2007

Mudroom

I have been slowly working on the floor of the mudroom since I first demoed the small bathroom that sits right off of it. During Demo I pulled up the 80's linoleum floor to find some much older linoleum tiles(from the 40's or 50's, individual hard tiles). I started pulling these up and found some really nice wood under the thick tar paper stuff that was holding the old tiles on. For a proof of concept I got all the tar paper up (using the grinder and 24 and 36 grit sandpaper) and do a quick sanding of the floor in that bathroom. It ended up looking good.

7 months later I start the rest of the mudroom :).

The tiles were the hardest thing to get up so in the advice of my 4 year old daughter (who watched an infomercial on day when we were at Hardwicks) we bought a multimaster. Yes it does what they say (the tile came up in about 5 hours). The picture is of the barren alien landscape that the tar paper creates when you rip the tile up. Oh yeah, it smells bad when warm.

However the Multimaster really not meant for room size jobs so out comes the trusty grinder. 2 days later 1/2 the floor is totally smooth wood with no markings. (picture coming) and I have 2 sets of clothes saturated with sawdust and old tar papers bits. I also bought a warm red oil based floor paint thats way to pink in the test, so it may have to go back and get tinted up.

Once the floor is done I have to get the trim up on the doors and around the baseboards, and then all that should be left is some painting.

2 comments:

Aunt Cherie said...

ea!!!!!!!!!!

haven't looked at Isadora's house in ages
i was pretty good about checking every day until
daily checking got boring
no pics or up dates
soooooo i checked tonight
yea!!!!!!!!! pics
updates yea!!!!!!!!!!!
looks like i'll have no work to do when i come out Sept 10th
great to see how hard you've been working
love aunt cherie

Matt said...

Heather went through and added pictures to just about every post since December!